Below are answers to some commonly asked questions, if you don’t find what you’re looking for, please contact the Village Clerk at: (518)945-1551, or voaclerk@yahoo.com

How do I report a water leak or street light outage?

Please contact the Village of Athens DPW Garage at (518) 945-2618. For Street Light outages, please have the pole number handy if possible.

When and why do I need a building permit?

Generally, a permit is required for any work to be done to your business or residence within the Village. In some cases, Planning Board approval is also necessary. For more information, please contact the Village Code Enforcement Office at 518-945-0601 or click here for more info.

Do I need a work permit and planning approval to replace my fence or to construct a detached storage building, garage or shed?


Do I need a permit to have a yard sale?

No, you can hold a yard sale at any time. The Village holds an annual yard sale, usually the Saturday before Labor Day weekend.

Are there tax credits/incentives available to residents rehabilitating historic homes?

You may qualify for tax credits/incentives through New York State if you are renovating or restoring historic residential structures. Click here for more information.

Does the Village provide trash removal?

Not at this time, please contact a private trash removal company.

Where can I dispose of brush?

There is a brush pile available for residents of the Village and Town of Athens.  It’s located behind the firehouse. Please enter from the firehouse parking lot.

Where can I view a copy of the Village’s annual budget?

You can view the Village budget at the Village Clerk’s office, located at 2 First Street. You can also find the past several years’ budgets here.

Who do I contact regarding my property taxes?

Please contact the Town Assessor, Cheryl L. Kaszluga at 518-945-1044 with all information and concerns regarding your property taxes. Any questions regarding the Assessor’s hours of operation can be answered by calling the Town Clerk at 518-945-1052.

Does the Village have a dog park?

Yes, the dog park is located at the Bunker Hill Park at 84 Union Street.

How do I contact Animal Control?

Please contact the Town of Athens Offices at 518-945-1052, if it is an emergency dial 911.

How do I file a complaint with the Village?

Village residents may file a complaint in person at the Village Office or download and complete a complaint form at home. Completed forms can be mailed to: Village of Athens, 2 First Street, Athens, N.Y. 12015 or emailed to voaclerk@yahoo.com.

Where can I launch my boat?

Athens has a N.Y.S Boat Launch just north of the Village at Murderers Kill Creek (10 N. Washington Street) . Also, kayaks and canoes may be launched at the 4th street boat launch.

Can I reserve the Riverfront Park or Community Center Gym for a special event?

Download the facilities use permit application, fill it out and submit it to the Village office, prior to a Village Board meeting. The Board will review it and you’ll be notified of approval.